Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

"Face cases"

I just posted some facial wound/reconstruction pictures on Flickr, a small part of a pretty extensive series. For me, this ties in very nicely with the Otken Collection that I've been working on for a while. Captain Otken, as I've written before, was a World War 1 American Expeditionary Forces surgeon in France. He wrote often to his family about his "face cases," in particular one boy who was pretty shot up but through a series of surgeries Captain Otken kept him from being too disfigured. I'm sure that he saw the kinds of wounds that I just put up.

Reeve 034802

Reeve 034801

2 comments:

Mage said...

Ah, I found the latrines. An Army marches with latrines, indeed, but not a facial reconstructive bit anywhere. The latrines were great.

cruisingat60 said...

Thank you! Something we don't talk about in polite company, but we gotta have 'em!