Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Letters of the Day

Outgoing correspondence, in the days before carbon paper and mimeograph and Xerox, was copied by hand into bound volumes of blank pages. It was the only way to keep track of what correspondence went out. A scribe of some of the letters was obviously an artist and a bit of a rebel because he added flourishes to many of the letters he copied. I wish I knew who it was. Here are two examples on one page of his artistry.

Right off I'm going to apologize for the softness of this photo. I'm not allowed to take my real camera into the building but I am allowed my cell phone, so I was reduced to using it for this picture. It's a great phone but a lousy camera. But as Mike would say, Notwithstanding That, I'm going to post this shot anyway.


No comments: