Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Letter of the Day: June 12

Department of Agriculture,

Washington, D.C., June 12, 1880

 

Chief of Army Medical Museum

 

Dear Sir:

 

The accompanying “mummified calf” was taken from the womb of a cow which had not calved for three years.

 

If it is of any value please accept it as a donation from Mr. E.R. Stabler, writer of inclosed (sic) letter. He can give you additional particulars & anything he says may be implicitly relied on.

 

If you do not care for the specimen, please inform me, and retain it until I can ascertain what further disposition he may desireo make of it.

 

Respectfully

Yours +c

James P. Stabler

 

Enclosure:

 

Brighton, MD

Montgomery Co

June 10th

 

James P. Stabler

 

Dear Cousin

 

I send you by Mr. Wilson a “Dried Calf” which is just as it was taken from the womb of a healthy cow. It is a curious specimen as it remained in the womb 2 years after maturity without decaying in the slightest degree. It has been at least a month since the cow was killed + except for the mould (sic) which you can see on the surface I believe it is just as sound as when it was first removed. I send it to you because I think it ought to be reserved from insects. I have not time to write more just now but will try to see you on Sunday.

 

Your Affec

Edward R. Stabler

No comments: