Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Letter of the Day: June 21 - Civil War

Huntingdon, Penna
June 21st 1864

Dear Doctor;

I arrived home from Beaufort, S.C. on Saturday last, sick. I had intended coming through your place on my way, but when I arrived at N.Y. I did not feel able. Before leaving B- I sent you by Express a keg of specimens, a receipt for which you will find enclosed. They are not very valuable, but I did the best I could. I lost a number on Morris Island for want of liquor, before I rec.d the cask you sent. You will find Dr. Buckman’s papers enclosed, giving a history of his cases. The others have no particular history to be given more than what is on the tabs. Dr. Ramsey had a resection of head of humerus which I intended to send, but he said he was going to Washington himself and I gave it to him to hand to you, a week or more before I left. I hope you got it. I lost at Port Royal a box of miscellaneous articles, a portion of which I had intended for you. I think they were stolen. I shall write to Dr. Allen and request him to look after them for me. They were left in care of the proprietor of the hotel there when I left Morris Island, but when called for, could not be found.

Today or tomorrow, I shall send to the Surgeon Genl’s Office, my invoices, receipts and Returns of Hospital Property, +c together with pay accounts. If your time will permit, will you be kind enough to ask the Clark to push them through as soon as possible. I am not able to leave the house or I would go and make you a visit. My right lung is troubling me very much, but since I am in the North, I have improved greatly. I had an attack of congestion of the lungs in B-. Should I recover my usual health, I think I will try the army a while longer. I shall send you whatever of interest I may find.

Very Respectfully Your [illegible]
H.K. Neff

To
Surg. Jno. H. Brinton
Washington, D.C.

No comments: