Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Letter of the Day: July 1

Nashville 10 se
July 1st / 63

Dear Brinton:

No doubt you will be surprised by the receipt of this, but I trust my motive will be my excuse.

I write to inform you that I have ascertained that there have accumulated, in the Hospitals in this Department, a large number of valuable specimens intended for the “Army Med. Museum,” but that Adams Express Co. refuses to forward them to Washington unless the fright be pre-paid.

Consequently, they are still here, and are spoiling and being lost for want of care etc. Moreover, the knowledge of these facts discourages Med. Officers here from collecting additional specimens. I would suggest that some arrangement be made with the Express Co. which will enable Med Officers to transmit these specimens to the S.G.O. whenever expedient.

I arrived here some days ago – and am in charge of Hospital No. 4. It contains some 225 beds and is considered one of the most desirable in the city. The weather is very warm and tells on the subscriber severely.

I saw Goldsmith last night. He is on his way to Murfreesboro to learn something about the nature etc. of Pyaemia & Gangrene. We are totally in the dark as to Rosecran’s movements.

I see that you are having a “high old time,” in the East. Hooker relieved, the rebels playing the divil (sic, devil) in Md + Pa. + threatening Balto. + Washington! I am sorry I had to leave before the fun.

Give my regards to Mast. Dunstin etc. etc.
Yours very truly,
C.C. Byrne

Surg. J. H. Brinton U.S.V.
Washington D.C.

No comments: