Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Letter of the Day: August 6

Fort Custer, M.T. [Montana Territory]

Aug. 6th, 1880.

 

Major G. A. Otis,

Surgeon, U.S.A.

 

My dear Sir;

 

I have just received your “List of the Specimens in the Anatomical Section of the U.S. Army Medical Museum.” I notice on p. 118 that the Museum has only two crania of Crow Indians.

 

I think I can obtain a number of specimens of this tribe for you, and also one or two complete skeletons. 

 

If you will send me, from time to time, similar catalogues you may publish, I will gladly supply any deficiencies in my power.

 

Besides the skeletons of mammals and birds sent you recently from Fort Shaw, I have already a number of species new to the collection, that I have obtained in this locality, but as I am constantly adding to them I will not forward them at present.

 

I am, Sir,

Very truly yours,

James C. Merrill

Capt. + Ass’t. Surg. U.S.A.

No comments: