Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Letter of the Day: October 15

U.S.A. General Hospital
Frederick, Maryland
October 15 1862

Dar Doctor-

Yours of the 12th came to hand last evg [evening].

I have only been waiting to get the enclosed not of a case the specimens of which can be obtained in Washington in order to write you.

The Barrel is filling up well. I have now some sixty odd specimens with some notes. The great lack I find is to obtain the results. The notes are sent with the specimens + if they are the results of operations the final result of the case is not known + the surgeons are not careful to send subsequently the results. I am however hunting them up gradually. As soon as the Barrel is full I will Express it to you and advise you of the fact by mail.

I am having good times in operative surgery and would not for at least the present exchange my position for any other what ever. We have the cream.

Porter is doing well + were he here I would send his regards.

The post mortem specimens I spoke of are to be found at Carver Hospital in the room formally occupied by Dr. Russell U.S.A. now occupied by Dr. Banks + wife. The colon is in alcohol on a shelf – or rather was there – and the vertebrae are on a board under the ventilator.

Dr. Banks probably knows of their whereabouts.

With kind regards
Truly your friend
W.W. Keen Jr.

No comments: