Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Letter of the Day: November 1

Fort Ridgely, Minnesota,
November 1st 1862

Sir

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of a letter from the curator of the Army Medical Museum, under date of October 15th, 62, acknowledging the receipt of an Indian arrow head and requesting me to procure further specimens etc.

I have already collected some specimens referred to in his letter and shall continue to make further collections as opportunity shall present. Articles of Indian warfare (including both new and old shotguns), captured by our troops from the Indians, have been delivered at this Post and gone into the custody of the proper Army Officer, some of them, in my judgement, would be proper to be secured for the Army Medical Museum.

If you would obtain an order from the War-Department, directing the Commander of this post or other Officer in Charge of these "trophies," to allow me to select from them such articles as I might deem proper, for the purposes of sending them to the Army Medical Museum, I would with pleasure do so.

Very respectfully,
Your Obedient Servant,
Alfred Muller
Act. Asst. Surgeon

[To] Brig'd General Wm. A. Hammond
Surgeon General, U.S. Army
Washington, D.C.

No comments: