Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Letter of the Day: November 9 (1 of 2)

Fort Wadsworth D.T.
Nov. 9th, 1868

Surgeon General U.S.A.
Washington, D.C.

General:
I have since my communication of the 5th uls. explored two Tumuli and obtained a few bones, very incomplete parts of a number of skeletons seventeen tibiae, twenty one femura etc, etc, but no crania. From one I obtained about a peck of decayed wood, which had been used in interring the bones. I propose to disinter the remains of a hostile Indian (Dakota) who died of syphilis while a prisoner during the “Outbrake” [sic]. I would respectfully inquire if you desire the specimens for the museum?

I have a “Medicine Bag,” (parflesh bag) the skin of an otter, which I purpose to contribute. I have been preparing a map, or rather designating the location of the tumula on the map of the reservation, which with a description of the location, from and structure of the mounds I shall forward hereafter.

May I inquire if the implements we shipped on the 5th ult. have reached you.

Very Respectfully
Your Obed’t Servt
A. J. Comfort

No comments: