Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Letter of the Day: December 14

USA General Hospital No. 5
Frederick City Md. Dec. 14th 1862

Surgeon Brinton USA

Sir

I have learned that there is now connected with the Medical Department of the Army, an Anatomical Museum under your charge, I have a couple of dry specimens. One of the Knee Joint, the other Foetus, which I requested Surgeon Keene to inform you of , I would be pleased to have you present them to the Surgeon Gen'l from me - I prepared them while reading Medicine at Hartford Conn. I have Written my father to have them Expressed to you.

I have been some time in preparing specimens here, I should be pleased if I could be Transferred to Washington for duty under your charge, as I have a great taste for Anatomy. Please let me hear if you have received them or not + oblige.

I am your Obt Servant

H.S. Hannen
Medical Cadet, USA

2 comments:

Kurt Patel said...

Very good blog.
But first time came to know the abbreviation for OBEDIENT. WHICH IS "obt"

Mike Rhode said...

We generally transcribe as is, with a (sic) marking obvious misspellings, but you'll see a lot of different abbreviations for obedient in these letters.