Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Letter of the Day: March 29

Curatorial Records: Numbered Correspondence 01383

Fort McIntosh, Texas

March 29, 1896

Maj. Walter Reed U.S.A.
Washington, D.C.

Dear Doctor:

I have this day forwarded to your address some sputa collected with aseptic care from a tuberculous patient, whom I have treated for six weeks with Paguin's serum.

An examination made at the beginning of treatment revealed a great number of bacilli. For the last few days I have endeavored to demonstrate their prisence [sic] but without success, whether this is due to my own imperfect technique, or to the fact the serum has been this effective I am unable to say, at any rate I am unwilling to rely upon the results of my own investigation. As the question is one of great importance to the patient, upon which depends the continence of the treatment, I beg that you will kindly give me the results of your examination thereof-the patient is a member of an officer's family.

x x x x x x

Please pardon the inquiry, but when may I expect the histological mounts that you are preparing? I understand that in the midst of your official duties you have little time for outside work; but I am extremely anxious for them and am prompted to ask the question at the expense of propriety.

Very respectfully
R.S. Woodson

No comments: