Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Letter of the Day: April 5

Curatorial Records: Numbered Correspondence 02166

Subject.

War Department,
Surgeon General's Office,
Washington, April 5, 1897

Major Walter Reed,
Surgeon, U.S. Army,
Secretary, Army Medical School,

My dear Reed,

I received on Saturday, the examination papers of the last class in "Duties of Medical Officers." After consulting the Surgeon General on the subject it seems unnecessary to keep all these examination papers as they are quite bulky and not likely to be needed. The Surgeon general suggests, however, that it is important that we should keep on hand a file of the questions given out in each branch session. Will you kindly give attention to this matter and get up, if practicable, a set of examination papers for each session to file with the records of the School. I send you down a copy of my questions given at the last session.

Lest I may not see you soon, I want to say when I handed my report of the School to the General, April 1st, he was very complimentary in his expressions of satisfaction at the work of the Faculty, stating that he thought the course was better than that given by any Army Medical School. His praise was intended of course not for my own ears, so that I want my colleagues and of the faculty to know it.

Very truly yours,
C.H. Alden

No comments: