Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Letter of the Day: April 6

Curatorial Records: Numbered Correspondence 02181


Fort Riley, Kansas,
April 6th., 1897


Major Walter Reed, U.S.A.,
Washington, D.C.


Dear Doctor:


I send you today, by express, a pathological specimen, which I would be very glad to have examined microscopically. It is from the wife of Capt. Anderson, and Artillery Officer of this garrison - She reached this Post from Ft. Adams, Rhode Island about the middle of December last, and I was called to see her. I found a very much enlarged Spleen, reaching almost, if not quite, down to the crest of the Ilium. I learned, that the case had been diagnosed and treated as one of Malarial disease, "Ague-cake", but an examination of the blood made here, at no time showed the presence of the parasite in any of it's forms - There were, however, a large number of Eosinophile cells present - I turned the case over to one of my Assistants, who resided close by her, and did not see her again until about 20th. of March last, when I found the abdomen greatly enlarged, the patient markedly emaciated, and confined to bed. An examination of the blood at this time showed an entire absence of the Eosinophiles, and a great excess of polynuclear leucocytes.


Mrs Anderson was 48 years of age.- Day before yesterday a laparotomy was done with no satisfactory results, and this morning she died.-


I give you the forgoing brief narrative of facts, for what they may be worth, in assisting you to arrived at a satisfactory conclusion, as to the nature of the neoplastic growth.


Very truly yours
J.L. Powell
Capt. etc.

No comments: